Saturday, December 12, 2009

Rosacea sufferers: what is the best treatment you've found?

Try Aven Diroseal as a night cream (it really works)Rosacea sufferers: what is the best treatment you've found?
How is rosacea cured?





Rosacea cannot be cured but it can usually be controlled with the proper, regular treatment.





What about using acne medicine?





Over-the-counter medications for acne can be a hazard; they can irritate the skin of rosacea.





What is used for rosacea?





Treatment involves both oral and topical medicines. Oral antibiotics (such as tetracycline) are commonly prescribed; the dose may be initially high and then be tapered to maintenance levels.





A topical (skin) antibiotic cream such as metronidazole (Metrocream) is useful to reduces the inflammation and the redness. Other topical antibiotic creams include erythomycin and clindamycin (Cleocin).





Short-term topical cortisone (steroid) preparations of the right strength may also be used to reduce local inflammation. Some doctors are trying tretinoin (Retin-A) or isotretoin (Accutane), prescription medications also used for acne, or permethrin (Elimite) cream, which is used for the mites that cause scabies.





What should be avoided?





Smoking, food (such as spicy food) and drink (such as hot beverages and alcoholic drinks) that can cause flushing should be avoided.





Exposure to sunlight and to extreme hot and cold temperatures should be limited. That will also help relieve symptoms of rosacea.





Potent cortisone medications on the face should be avoided because they can promote widening of the tiny blood vessels of the face.





How should I care for the skin of my face?





Rubbing the face tends to irritate the reddened skin. Some cosmetics and hair sprays may also aggravate redness and swelling.





Facial products such as soap, moisturizers and sunscreens should be free of alcohol or other irritating ingredients. Moisturizers should be applied very gently after any topical medication has dried. When going outdoors, sunscreens with an SPF of 15 or higher are needed.





';Nourifusion'; would address your conditionRosacea sufferers: what is the best treatment you've found?
I worked at The Body Shop and had a lady who came in asking for help with her rosacea. She tried the aloe vera (no preservatives, no fragrance) line which is made for all skin types, specifically for sensitive skin. It seemed to work really well for her as she kept coming back! It is worth a try and you can get it online at thebodyshop.com
Antibiotics have to used indefinitely and right now, I wash my face with Cetaphil. I've noticed that for me, I have to change my washing products from time to time..it's like the items start bothering the rosacea after awhile.


There is no cure and you really have to be careful that you don't start having trouble with your eyes because of the rosacea..if I try to stop the meds too long, I get stys on my eyelids and it takes a long time to get rid of them!


I wish there were a simple answer to your question; but unfortunately the answers are as varied as the people with this condition!
Mine (non-diagnosed) seems to have faded with my anti-fungal diet (I have a systemic yeast infection). www.hufa.org has some basic info on yeast infections at the yeast link.
ATOPALM MLE Cream (The stuff in the jar works better than the stuff in the tube.)





You can get it at skinstore.com





It works for me. I only have the flushed/redness, not the little bumps. Mine didn't come about until after 30. I tried the MetroGel from the doctor, I tried the acne medications, I even went to a compounding pharmacist, but none of that worked as well as the ATOPALM.

No comments:

Post a Comment