Saturday, December 12, 2009

What is the most effective treatment menthod for acne rosacea?

I am seeking treatment for my rosacea/acne. I have light, Celtic skin. My case is moderate and I live near many renown med spas, so I have a lot of options.





So, is blue light therapy, photofacial, microderm or PDT the best treatment option? I have tried oracea and finacea and they help, but I am looking for better results that will last longer.





Please respond only if you are a patient or dermatologist who is familiar with the condition rosacea and the treatment options. Alos, what is a fair price range for treatment? Thanks!What is the most effective treatment menthod for acne rosacea?
PDL (Pulse Dye Laser) is currently considered by most dermatologists to be the most effective light/laser therapy for rosacea. I have tried PDL, and it is very effective. It can be more effective when used with Levulan/Kerastick. ClearLight/BluLight hasn't been as extensively studied for rosacea as PDL; it seems to be more promising for acne. Combining BluLight/ClearLight with PDL seems excessive if you only have rosacea without acne.





Microdermabrasion is not effective at all for rosacea. PhotoFacials (IPL) can be effective for rosacea, but PDL seems to be more effective with fewer treatments, based on current studies.





Instead of Oracea, you might also want to try Nicomide, and you might also want to try Plexion wash (especially if your skin is oily). Rosacea responds best to combination therapy.





I would also NOT go to a medical ';spa';. Go to a dermatologist's office and get a consultation FIRST. You may not receive the appropriate setting on the laser for your skin if you go to a medical spa, and thus not receive maximum benefit. Ask who will be performing the treatment. If it is an ';aesthetician';, go somewhere else. You want to receive the treatment from the doctor, from a Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner, or an RN or possibly LPN. It's ok to have hair removal or some procedure like that from an aesthetician -- but I wouldn't trust your face during a procedure that could actually cause permanent discoloration and hyperpigmentation to one. An average treatment should cost $300 to $500, depending on the part of the country where you live, possibly more.What is the most effective treatment menthod for acne rosacea?
I had rosacea a few years ago and was treated with antibiotics. The rosacea eventually subsided.





I do know of someone who uses an over-the-counter product (wash, oil and lotion) to treat the symptoms. If you're interested in trying something less invasive that you've listed above, I can give you more information on the product.





Good luck with your treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment